Step 4: Reinstall a clean Mac operating system
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command+R keys simultaneously.
- Click on Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X where applicable) to reinstall the operating system that came with your Mac.
- Click on Continue.
How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac?
How to install a new copy of macOS Mojave in Recovery Mode
- Connect your Mac to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Restart from the drop-down menu.
- Hold down Command and R (⌘ + R) at the same time.
- Click on Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
How do I uninstall and install OSX?
Select your startup drive on the left (typically Macintosh HD), switch to the Erase tab and choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format drop-down menu. Select Erase and then confirm your choice. Quit out of the Disk Utility app, and this time choose Reinstall OS X and Continue.
How do I reinstall my High Sierra from Mojave?
Now, follow the steps to downgrade Mojave to High Sierra.
- Boot your macOS into Recovery Mode and erase your macOS Mojave as mentioned in Method 1.
- Choose, ‘Restore from Time Machine Backup’ from the ‘macOS Utilities’
- Select Time Machine Backup external drive or Time Capsule and choose Connect to Remote Disk.
How do I reinstall an old Mac OS?
Here are the steps Apple describes:
- Start up your Mac pressing Shift-Option/Alt-Command-R.
- Once you see the macOS Utilities screen choose the Reinstall macOS option.
- Click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Select your startup disk and click Install.
- Your Mac will restart once the installation is complete.
How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac without disc?
How to Reinstall MacOS Mojave
- Backup the Mac before going any further, do not skip making a full backup.
- Restart the Mac, then immediately hold down the COMMAND + R keys together immediately to boot into macOS Recovery Mode (alternatively, you can also hold down OPTION during boot and select Recovery from the boot menu)
How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave?
How to Clean Install MacOS Mojave
- Complete a full Time Machine backup before starting this process.
- Connect the bootable macOS Mojave installer drive to the Mac via a USB port.
- Reboot the Mac, then immediately start holding the OPTION key on the keyboard.
How do I do a clean install of OSX?
So, let us begin.
- Step 1: Clean up your Mac.
- Step 2: Back up your data.
- Step 3: Clean Install macOS Sierra on your startup disk.
- Step 1: Erase your non-startup drive.
- Step 2: Download the macOS Sierra Installer from the Mac App Store.
- Step 3: Start the Installation of macOS Sierra on the Non-startup drive.
How long does it take to reinstall Mac OS?
Depends on what kind of Mac you have and method of install. Typically, if you have a stock 5400 rpm drive, it takes about 30 – 45 minutes using a USB installer. If you are using the internet recovery route, it can take over an hour, depending on speed of internet etc.
How do I reinstall Mac OS without recovery mode?
Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Command+R’ buttons. Release these buttons as soon as you see the Apple logo. Your Mac should now boot into Recovery Mode. Select ‘Reinstall macOS,’ and then click ‘Continue.’
Can you go back to High Sierra from Mojave?
If your Mac came with High Sierra, you’re in luck, because you can use Recovery Mode to roll back — though you’ll need to erase your startup disk first. Likewise, if you have a Time Machine backup of your High Sierra installation just before you installed Mojave.
How do I upgrade to High Sierra NOT Mojave?
How to upgrade to macOS Mojave
- Check compatibility. You can upgrade to macOS Mojave from OS X Mountain Lion or later on any of the following Mac models.
- Make a backup. Before installing any upgrade, it’s a good idea to back up your Mac.
- Get connected.
- Download macOS Mojave.
- Allow installation to complete.
- Stay up to date.
How do I download High Sierra from Mojave?
Here’s how to get it:
- Click here to download macOS High Sierra from the App Store from MacOS Mojave, then click the “Get” button, this will redirect to the Software Update control panel.
- From the Software Update preference panel, confirm that you want to download macOS High Sierra by choosing “Download”
Can you install an older version of OSX?
If your Mac is running a newer version of the MacOS you won’t be able to install an older version on top of it. At least not in a simple way. Here’s the steps you need to take: Start by downloading the installer of the version of OS X that you require from the Mac App Store, you should find it in the Purchases section.
How do I download an older version of OSX?
How to download older Mac OS X versions via the App Store
- Click the App Store icon.
- Click Purchases in the top menu.
- Scroll down to find the preferred OS X version.
- Click Download.
Is Mac OS Sierra still available?
If you have hardware or software that isn’t compatible with macOS Sierra, you might be able to install the previous version, OS X El Capitan. macOS Sierra won’t install on top of a later version of macOS, but you can erase your disk first or install on another disk.
How do I reinstall Mac from scratch?
How to reinstall MacOS via Recovery
- Start up your Mac while holding down Command+R until you hear the startup chime and see either a spinning globe or Apple logo.
- A macOS Utilities window will open, on which you will see the options to Restore From Time Machine Backup, Reinstall macOS, Get Help Online and Disk Utility.
Could not find installation information for this machine?
If you are installing mac os on a fresh Hard Drive then rather pressing cmd + R on startup, you need to press and hold only alt/opt key on system startup. In Recovery Mode you have to format your Disk using Disk Utility and Choose OS X Extended (Journaled) as drive format before you click Reinstall OS X.
Does reinstall macOS delete files?
Technically speaking, simple reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files. You probably don’t need to erase, unless you’re selling or giving away your Mac or having an issue that requires you to wipe.
How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave with USB?
3: Create a bootable macOS Mojave installer
- Download new macOS from the App Store.
- When it’s finished, the installer will launch.
- Plug in the USB stick and launch Disk Utilities.
- Click the Erase tab and make sure Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is selected in the format tab.
- Give the USB stick a name then click Erase.
Does installing Mac OS Mojave delete everything?
The simplest is to run the macOS Mojave installer, which will install the new files over your existing operating system. It won’t alter your data, but only those files that are part of the system, as well as bundled Apple apps. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities) and erase the drive on your Mac.
How do I install Mac OS on a new SSD?
With the SSD plugged in to your system you’ll need to run Disk Utility to partition the drive with GUID and format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition. The next step is to download from the Apps Store the OS installer. Run the installer selecting the SSD drive it will install a fresh OS onto your SSD.
How do I reinstall Mac OS Internet recovery?
How to use Internet Recovery to reinstall macOS
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down Command-Option/Alt-R and press the Power button.
- Hold down those keys until you a spinning globe and the message “Starting Internet Recovery.
- The message will be replaced with a progress bar.
- Wait for the MacOS Utilities screen to appear.
How do you reset a Mac OS?
Here’s how to reset a MacBook:
- Hold down the Command and R keys on the keyboard and turn on the Mac.
- Select your language and continue.
- Choose Disk Utility and click continue.
- Choose your startup disk (named Macintosh HD by default) from the sidebar and click the Erase button.
How long does it take to reinstall macOS High Sierra?
Here’s How Long the macOS High Sierra Update Takes
|Backup to Time Machine (Optional)||5 minutes to a day|
|macOS High Sierra Download||20 minutes to an 1 hour|
|macOS High Sierra Installation Time||20 to 50 minutes|
|Total macOS High Sierra Update Time||45 minutes to an hour and 50 minutes|
How do I reinstall Mac from recovery partition?
Reinstall Mac Operating System From The Recovery Partition
- Turn on the Mac and immediately press and hold down both the Command key and the R key.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear in the middle of the screen you can release the Command and R keys.
- When the Mac has completed its startup, you should see a window similar this one:
How do I reinstall Mac OS without Apple ID?
- With Mac off Hold CMD + R and tap power button to turn on computer.
- Still holding CMD + R wait for recovery screen to appear that gives reinstall option.
- Before clicking reinstall click ‘disk utility’
- On disk utility click the ‘Macintosh HD’ then the erase tab on the right.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings?
Step-by-step Guide to Reset Mac to Factory Settings
- Restart in Recovery Mode.
- Erase Data from Mac Hard Drive.
- a. In the macOS Utilities window, choose Disk Utility and click Continue.
- b. Choose your startup disk and click Erase.
- c. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format.
- d. Click Erase.
- e. Wait until the process is finished.
- Reinstall macOS (optional)