bash_profile is used for customizing the user configuration settings. This file is located in the home directory and is mostly hidden. The . bash_profile files are considered as configuration scripts.
What is .bash_profile file in Linux?
bash_profile file is a configuration file for configuring user environments. The users can modify the default settings and add any extra configurations in it. The ~/. bash_login file contains specific settings that are executed when a user logs in to the system.
Where is profile file in Linux?
profile file is located in the user-specific folder called /home/<username>. So, the . profile file for notroot user is located in /home/notroot.
How do I view a bash file in Linux?
Linux And Unix Command To View File
- cat command.
- less command.
- more command.
- gnome-open command or xdg-open command (generic version) or kde-open command (kde version) – Linux gnome/kde desktop command to open any file.
- open command – OS X specific command to open any file.
How do I view a profile in Unix?
profile (where ~ is a shortcut for the current user’s home directory). (Press q to quit less .) Of course, you can open the file using your favorite editor, e.g. vi (a command-line based editor) or gedit (the default GUI text editor in Ubuntu) to view (and modify) it. (Type :q Enter to quit vi .)
How do I view a profile file in Unix?
profile file is present in your $HOME directory. It is possible that the . profile file is hidden, use ls -a to list it.
How do I run a profile in Unix?
Just edit the . bashrc file (better make a copy of the original first, just in case) and simply add a line the name of the script you want to execute to the file (at the bottom of the . bashrc would be fine). If the script is not in your home directory, be sure to specify the complete path.
What is the View command in Linux?
In Unix to view the file, we can use vi or view command . If you use view command then it will be read only. That means you can view the file but you will not be able to edit anything in that file. If you use vi command to open the file then you will be able to view/update the file.
How do you read a file in Linux?
From the Linux terminal, you must have some exposures to the Linux basic commands. There are some commands such as cat, ls, that are used to read files from the terminal.
Open the file using tail command.
- Open File Using cat Command. …
- Open File Using less Command. …
- Open File Using more Command. …
- Open File Using nl Command.
Where can I find TXT file in Linux?
- find . – name thisfile.txt. If you need to know how to find a file in Linux called thisfile. …
- find /home -name *.jpg. Look for all . jpg files in the /home and directories below it.
- find . – type f -empty. Look for an empty file inside the current directory.
- find /home -user randomperson-mtime 6 -iname “.db”