Windows 10, similar to previous versions, includes BitLocker Drive Encryption, a feature that allows you to use encryption on your PC’s hard drive and on removable drives to prevent prying eyes from snooping into your sensitive data.
What is the purpose of BitLocker?
BitLocker is a full volume encryption feature included with Microsoft Windows versions starting with Windows Vista. It is designed to protect data by providing encryption for entire volumes. By default, it uses the AES encryption algorithm in cipher block chaining (CBC) or XTS mode with a 128-bit or 256-bit key.
Where is BitLocker Windows 10?
Turn on BitLocker Drive Encryption in Windows 10. Click Start > File Explorer > This PC. Then right-click your system drive where Windows 10 is installed, then click Turn on BitLocker.
How do I get my BitLocker recovery key?
The BitLocker recovery key is a 32-digit number stored in your computer. Here’s how to find your recovery key. On a printout you saved: Look in places you keep important papers. On a USB flash drive: Plug the USB flash drive in to your locked PC and follow the instructions.
Can I turn on BitLocker on Windows 10 home?
No, it’s not available in Home version of Windows 10. Only device encryption is, not Bitlocker. Windows 10 Home enables BitLocker if the computer has a TPM chip. The Surface 3 comes with Windows 10 Home, and not only is BitLocker enabled, but the C: comes BitLocker-encrypted out of the box.
How do I use BitLocker on Windows 10?
How to turn on BitLocker To Go
- Connect the drive you want to use with BitLocker.
- Use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut to open the Power User menu and select Control Panel.
- Click System and Security.
- Click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- Under BitLocker To Go, expand the drive you want to encrypt.
Why does BitLocker prompt for recovery key?
BitLocker is an encryption function of the Windows operating system. You may encounter an issue where on every boot BitLocker asks for a recovery key. When BitLocker sees a new device in the boot list or an attached external storage device it will prompt for the key for security reasons. This is normal behavior.
How do I get BitLocker on Windows 10 home?
In the search box on the taskbar, type Manage BitLocker and then select it from the list of results. Or you can select the Start button, and then under Windows System, select Control Panel. In Control Panel, select System and Security, and then under BitLocker Drive Encryption, select Manage BitLocker.
How do I remove BitLocker from Windows 10?
To disable BitLocker, you need to do the following:
- Open the Search bar and type Manage BitLocker. Select the Manage BitLocker from the menu.
- This will open the BitLocker window, where you you will see all your partitions and you can either select to suspend BitLocker or completely disable it.
Is BitLocker enabled by default Windows 10?
Microsoft BitLocker enabled when Windows 10 is shipped. Dell systems that ship with the Windows 10 operating system and are equipped with Trusted Platform Module (TPM) capability will have Microsoft BitLocker encryption enabled from the factory.
How do I get a recovery key?
Here’s how to get a new Apple recovery key if you’ve lost yours
- Head over to appleid.apple.com and click “manage my Apple ID”
- Log in with your normal Apple ID username and password.
- Verify your identity using a trusted device or phone number.
- Choose “security” on the left.
- Choose “replace recovery key”
What causes BitLocker to ask for recovery key?
Changes to the boot manager on the disk. Hiding the TPM from the operating system. Some BIOS or UEFI settings can be used to prevent the enumeration of the TPM to the operating system. Changing this setting in the BIOS would cause BitLocker to enter recovery mode because the PCR measurement will be different.
How do I unlock BitLocker from command prompt?
- Open the Command Prompt as administrator.
- Type the following command to unlock your BitLocker drive with 48-digit recovery key: manage-bde -unlock D: -RecoveryPassword YOUR-BITLOCKER-RECOVERY-KEY-HERE.
- Next turn off BitLocker Encryption: manage-bde -off D:
- Now you have unlocked and disabled BitLocker.
Does BitLocker slow down computer?
Microsoft: Windows 10 Bitlocker is slower, but also better. Bitlocker is a built-in disk encryption program that you can use to encrypt data so that it cannot be accessed by third-parties. If you don’t encrypt your hard drive, anyone can access the data on it even if the PC is not on.
Is it safe to use BitLocker?
Using BitLocker safely. All that being said, BitLocker is pretty cool encryption technology, and people often want to use it. It’s not uncommon, or even unreasonable, for organizations to insist that it be used to keep data secure. There are two key elements to using BitLocker safely.
How do I know if I have BitLocker?
To verify your disk is encrypted using BitLocker, open the BitLocker Drive Encryption control panel (located under “System and Security” when the Control Panel is set to Category view). You should see your computer’s hard drive (usually “drive C”), and the window will indicate whether BitLocker is on or off.
How do I use BitLocker on Windows 10 without TPM?
HOWTO: Setup BitLocker Encryption on Windows 10 without TPM
- From the Metro UI or the search box, type GPEDIT.MSC and press enter.
- Open Computer Configuration => Administrative Templates => Windows Components => BitLocker Drive Encryption => Operating System Drives.
- Select Enabled radio button and check the box for “Allow BitLocker without a compatible TPM”.
How do I change my BitLocker pin in Windows 10?
How Enable a Pre-boot BitLocker PIN in Windows 10 – Easily
- Before you get started to set up a pre-boot BitLocker PIN in Windows 10, make sure you have turned on BitLocker encryption.
- Hit Windows +R to activate the Run box.
- Type in gpedit.msc in the box and click OK to navigate to Group Policy.
- In Local Group Policy, follow the path:
How do I suspend BitLocker in Windows 10?
Suspend BitLocker: open the Search app, tap in BitLocker, hit Enter, then select Manage BitLocker, and click Suspend protection. Open an elevated command prompt window: press the Window key + X shortcut and select Command Prompt (admin).
How do I fix BitLocker?
To use the BitLocker Repair Tool
- Step 1: Gather required materials.
- Step 2: Download and install the BitLocker Repair Tool.
- Step 3: Copy the BitLocker Repair Tool files to a removable device.
- Step 4: Open a Command Prompt window.
- Step 5: Determine which drives are present.
- Step 6: Locate the BitLocker Repair Tool files.
How do I stop BitLocker recovery?
If Bitlocker is active during the update, all stored keys on the TPM will be LOST.
- Start the system.
- Boot into the Windows operating system.
- Open the Manage Bitlocker windows with one of the above methods.
- Click Suspend Protection for the desired drive.
- Review the warning prompt and click Yes to suspend Bitlocker.
How do I disable BitLocker?
Turning off BitLocker
- Click Start , click Control Panel, click System and Security (if the control panel items are listed by category), and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
- In the BitLocker Drive Encryption control panel, click Turn Off BitLocker.
- Click Decrypt Drive to start the decryption process.
How do I remove BitLocker from external hard drive Windows 10?
4 Ways to Remove or Disable BitLocker Drive Encryption
- Step 1: Click Computer and go to open Control Panel.
- Step 2: Choose BitLocker Drive Encryption to Manage BitLocker.
- Step 2: Choose This PC and then you will see the Devices and the Drives.
- Step 3:Enter the BitLocker Drive Encryption interface, you are offered a series of options.
How can I unlock BitLocker encryption?
Open Windows Explorer and right-click on the BitLocker encrypted drive, and then choose Unlock Drive from the context menu. You’ll get a popup in the upper right corner that asking for BitLocker password. Enter your password and click Unlock. The drive is now unlocked and you can access the files on it.
Can I disable BitLocker?
BitLocker is a feature that’s built into most Windows 10 Pro, Education, and Enterprise editions. If you can’t decrypt your hard drive in order to turn off BitLocker, you’ll need to use your BitLocker recovery key to unlock the drive before you can turn off BitLocker.
What does BitLocker prevent?
BitLocker drives can be encrypted with 128 bit or 256 bit encryption, this is plenty strong to protect your data in the event the computer is lost or stolen. BitLocker protects your hard drive from offline attack. BitLocker also protects your data if a malicious user boots from an alternate Operating System.
Does BitLocker require UEFI?
Yes, you can enable BitLocker on an operating system drive without a TPM version 1.2 or higher, if the BIOS or UEFI firmware has the ability to read from a USB flash drive in the boot environment. However, computers without TPMs will not be able to use the system integrity verification that BitLocker can also provide.
What is the difference between BitLocker and Bitlocker to Go?
Customers have a need to access other companies encrypted removable drives that have been encrypted with Bitlocker to Go. It is important to understand the difference between Bitlocker and Bitlocker to Go. Bitlocker is used to encrypt whole drives and will modify the boot sector.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”