In Windows 10, open Settings and go to “Network & Internet.” Then, if you use a Wi-Fi network, go to Wi-Fi, click or tap the name of the network you are connected to, and then change the network profile to Private or Public, depending on what you need.
How do I change my network from private to home?
Open Start > Settings > Network & Internet, under Change your network settings, click Sharing options. Expand Private or public, then choose the radio box for the desired options such as turning off network discovery, file and printer sharing, or accessing homegroup connections.
How do I change my network type to home or public in Windows 10?
Step 1: Find the current network type of your connection
- From the settings window click Network & Internet.
- The network status screen shows the connection type.
- Change network location to Public / Private. …
- Select Public.
- The network location will then change to Public.
How do I change my network from private to Ethernet Windows 10?
Change a Wired Network to Private
- Select Start > Settings > Network & Internet.
- Select Ethernet from the left sidebar. …
- Select the Ethernet connection name on the right.
- Under Network Profile, select the radio button for Private when you want to switch from a Public network.
Why is my home network showing as public?
You said your Wi-Fi network is currently set to “Public”. That means you’re all set if the security of your PC and the files that are stored on it are your primary concern.
How can I make my Wi-Fi private instead of public?
To change your network from public to private using the Wi-Fi settings:
- Click on the Wi-Fi network icon, found towards the far right of the taskbar.
- Select “Properties” under the Wi-Fi network that you’re connected to.
- From “Network profile,” select “Private.”
How do I make my Wi-Fi private?
How to Secure Your Wireless Network
- Open your router settings page. …
- Create a unique password on your router. …
- Change your Network’s SSID name. …
- Enable Network Encryption. …
- Filter MAC addresses. …
- Reduce the Range of the Wireless Signal. …
- Upgrade your Router’s firmware.
Should I set my network to public or private?
Set publicly accessible networks to public and ones at your home or workplace to private. if you’re not sure which–for example, if you’re at a friend’s house–you can always just set the network to public. You’d only need to set a network to private if you planned on using network discovery and file-sharing features.
How do I setup a home network in Windows 10?
In Windows, right-click the network connection icon in the system tray. Click Open Network and Internet Settings. In the network status page, scroll down and click Network and Sharing Center. Click Set up a new connection or network.
What is difference between private and public network?
A public network is a network to which anyone can connect. … A private network is any network to which access is restricted. A corporate network or a network in a school are examples of private networks.
How do I delete a private network in Windows 10?
How to delete a wireless network profile in Windows 10
- Click the Network icon on the lower right corner of your screen.
- Click Network settings.
- Click Manage Wi-Fi settings.
- Under Manage known networks, click the network you want to delete.
- Click Forget. The wireless network profile is deleted.
How do I change my network status in Windows 10?
Ways to change network types in Windows 10
- Go to Control Panel –> Network and Internet –> HomeGroup.
- Click on Change Network Location link.
- This will open a charms dialog asking you “Do you want to allow your PC to be discoverable by other PCs and devices on this network”.