How do you do a factory reset on Windows XP?
The steps are:
- Start the computer.
- Press and hold the F8 key.
- At Advanced Boot Options, choose Repair Your Computer.
- Press Enter.
- Select a keyboard language and click Next.
- If prompted, login with an administrative account.
- At the System Recovery Options, choose System Restore or Startup Repair (if this is available)
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
Reset your Windows 8.1 PC
- Open PC Settings.
- Click on Update and recovery.
- Click on Recovery.
- Under “Remove everything and reinstall Windows 10,” click the Get started button.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Fully clean the drive option to erase everything on your device and start fresh with a copy of Windows 8.1.
Can you completely wipe a hard drive?
You’ll need to take an extra step to wipe the hard drive completely. When you format a hard drive or delete a partition, you’re usually only deleting the file system, making the data invisible, or no longer blatantly indexed, but not gone. A file recovery program or special hardware can easily recover the information.
How do I remove hard drive from Windows XP?
How to Uninstall Windows XP Then Boot From a Disc
- Reverting to an Older Version. Turn on your computer, and press “F8” before Windows loads. Select the “Safe Mode” option.
- Formatting the Hard Drive. Turn on your computer, and insert your Windows XP install disk into your computer’s CD drive.
- Booting from a disk. Restart your computer after uninstalling Windows XP.
How do I reformat Windows XP?
Reformat the Hard Drive in Windows XP
- To reformat a hard drive with Windows XP, insert Windows CD and restart your computer.
- Your computer should automatically boot from the CD to the Windows Setup Main Menu.
- At the Welcome to Setup page, press ENTER.
- Press F8 to accept the Windows XP Licensing Agreement.
How do I do a factory reset?
Factory reset Android in Recovery Mode
- Turn your phone off.
- Hold the Volume down button, and while doing so, also hold the Power button until the phone turns on.
- You’ll see the word Start, then you should press Volume down until Recovery mode is highlighted.
- Now press the Power button to start recovery mode.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it Windows 10?
Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state. You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need. Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do I wipe my hard drive for reuse?
How to Wipe a Hard Drive for Reuse
- Right-click “My Computer” and click “Manage” to launch the Computer Management applet.
- Click “Disk Management” on the left pane.
- Select a “Primary Partition” or an “Extended Partition” from the menu.
- Assign a desired drive letter from the choices available.
- Assign an optional volume label to the hard drive.
How do I delete all personal information from my computer?
Return to the Control Panel and then click “Add or Remove User Accounts.” Click your user account, and then click “Delete the account.” Click “Delete files,” and then click “Delete Account.” This is an irreversible process and your personal files and information are erased.
How do you delete everything off your hard drive?
5 steps to wipe a computer hard drive
- Step 1: Back up your hard-drive data.
- Step 2: Don’t just delete files from your computer.
- Step 3: Use a program to wipe your drive.
- Step 4: Physically wipe your hard drive.
- Step 5: Do a fresh installation of the operating system.
How do I wipe my OS off hard drive?
Steps to delete Windows 10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP from system drive
- Insert the Windows installation CD into your disk drive and restart your computer;
- Hit any key on your keyboard when asked if you want to boot to the CD;
- Press “Enter” at the welcome screen and then hit the “F8” key to accept the Windows license agreement.
How do I erase data from my hard drive?
Click Add Data to select the files to wipe and choose an erasure method. (I usually go with the DoD three-pass option.) An Eraser option also appears when you right-click on a file in Windows Explorer, allowing you to permanently delete files quickly and easily.
How do I remove operating system from Windows XP?
Use the Add or Remove Programs tool in Control Panel
- Click Start, click Run, type appwiz.cpl in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Click to select the Show Updates check box.
- Click Windows XP Service Pack 2, and then click Remove.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to remove Windows XP SP2.
How do I wipe my computer before recycling?
Save important files
- Delete and overwrite sensitive files.
- Turn on drive encryption.
- Deauthorize your computer.
- Delete your browsing history.
- Uninstall your programs.
- Consult your employer about data disposal policies.
- Wipe your hard drive.
- Or physically damage your hard drive.
How do I wipe my Dell hard drive Windows XP?
How to Completely Erase a Dell Hard Drive in Windows XP
- Insert the Dell System Restore CD into the computer’s CD-ROM drive.
- When the screen says “Press any key to boot from CD,” press any key on the keyboard to enter the Windows Setup program.
How do I restore my computer to its factory settings?
To reset your PC
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings.
- Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
- Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
How do I create a system repair disk for Windows XP?
Create disc for Windows 7
- Boot your computer.
- Log in as an administrator.
- Insert a blank CD or DVD.
- Go to Start.
- Type recdisc.exe and hit Enter afterwards. If the Create a system repair disc screen doesn’t appear, follow these steps:
- Select the drive from the Drive: list.
- Click Create disc.
- Wait for the process to finish.
How do I do a System Restore on XP?
To create a restore point in Windows XP, follow these steps:
- Boot your computer.
- Login in as an Administrator or with any user account that has administrative rights.
- Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.
- Click on System Restore.
- Wait for the software to open.
- Click on Create a restore point.
- Click Next.
How do I restore to factory settings?
Factory reset your iPhone
- To reset your iPhone or iPad go to Settings > General > Reset and then select Erase All Content and Settings.
- After typing in your passcode if you’ve set one, you’ll get a warning box appear, with the option to Erase iPhone (or iPad) in red.
What happens when you factory reset your phone?
You can remove data from your Android phone or tablet by resetting it to factory settings. Resetting this way is also called “formatting” or a “hard reset.” Important: A factory reset erases all your data from your device. If you’re resetting to fix an issue, we recommend first trying other solutions.
How do I completely wipe my Android phone?
To wipe your stock Android device, head to the “Backup & reset” section of your Settings app and tap the option to for “Factory Data Reset.” The wiping process will take some time, but once it’s finished, your Android will reboot and you will see the same welcome screen you saw the first time you booted it up.
Does factory reset delete everything laptop?
Simply restoring the operating system to factory settings does not delete all data and neither does formatting the hard drive before reinstalling the OS. To really wipe a drive clean, users will need to run secure-erase software. Linux users can try the Shred command, which overwrites files in a similar fashion.
Does factory reset remove all data?
After encrypting your phone data, you can safely Factory reset your phone. However, it should be noted that all data will be deleted so if you would like to save any data make a backup of it first. To Factory Reset your phone go to: Settings and tap on Backup and reset under the heading “PERSONAL”.
Does reformatting a computer erase everything?
Formatting the hard drive is a bit more secure than simply erasing the files. Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. However a computer specialist would be able to recover most or all the data that was on the disk before the reformat.
Does wiping hard drive remove operating system?
Why Securely Wipe. Sure, you could just delete your personal files, or even re-install Windows or use the Reset Your PC feature built into Windows 8. However, this could leave some of your personal data behind. When you delete a file, it isn’t removed from the hard drive immediately.
How do I wipe my SSD?
How to securely erase an SSD drive
- Step 1: Create the Parted Magic bootable media.
- Step 2: After booting into Parted Magic, go to System Tools, then select Erase Disk.
- Step 3: Select “Internal:Secure Erase command writes zeroes to entire data area” then click Continue.
- Step 4: Select the SSD you want to erase, then click the OK button.
Does diskpart clean erase data?
Warning: Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please be certain that you are erasing the correct disk. From the diskpart prompt, type clean and press Enter. The drive’s partition, data, and signature is now removed.
Photo in the article by “Whizzers’s Place”