Open the Settings tab and click Real-time protection on the left.
Make sure there is a check mark in the Turn on real-time protection (recommended) check box.
That’s how you activate or enable Windows Defender in Windows 8 and 8.1 after uninstalling some competing free or paid anti-virus product.
How do you turn on Windows Defender manually?
Turn on Windows Defender
- In Start, open Control Panel.
- Open Administrative Tools > Edit group policy.
- Open Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender Antivirus.
- Open Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus and make sure it’s set to Disabled or Not configured.
How do I turn Windows Defender off in Windows 8?
3 Ways to Disable Windows Defender on Windows 8/8.1
- Step 2: Enter Settings, choose Administrator on the left, uncheck the small box before Turn on Windows Defender on the right and click Save changes on the bottom.
- Step 2: Find and open Windows Defender folder which is located in Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components.
Where is security and maintenance on Windows 8?
Automatic Maintenance is in the Action Center. You can get to it by clicking the Flag icon on the Taskbar in the Notification Area (on the right side next to the clock). Then click Open Action Center.
Does Windows 8.1 have antivirus built in?
“Windows Defender is a free, easy-to-use anti-malware program that helps protect against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software and is built directly into Windows 8/8.1 Windows Defender will be automatically activated from the first time the Windows 8/8.1 device is turned on, and will only deactivate if another
How do I turn Windows Defender back on?
Once it’ removed you may need to turn it manually back on. Type “Windows Defender” in the search box and then press Enter. Click Settings and make sure there is a checkmark on Turn on real-time protection recommend.
Should I turn on Windows Defender?
When you install another antivirus, Windows Defender should automatically be disabled: Open Windows Defender Security Center, then select Virus & threat protection > Threat settings. Turn off Real-time protection.
How do I permanently disable Windows Defender in Windows 10 home?
On Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise, you can use the Local Group Policy Editor to disable Windows Defender Antivirus permanently using these steps: Open Start. Search for gpedit.msc and click the top result to open the Local Group Policy Editor. Double-click the Turn off Windows Defender Antivirus policy.
How do I completely disable Windows Defender?
Steps to Disable Windows Defender
- Go to Run.
- Type in ‘gpedit.msc’ (without quotes) and hit Enter.
- Head to the ‘Administrative Templates’ tab, located under ‘Computer Configuration’.
- Click ‘Windows Components’, followed by ‘Windows Defender’.
- Find the ‘Turn off Windows Defender’ option, and double-click it.
Why has Windows Defender been turned off?
The revamped Windows Defender rubbed many security software companies up the wrong way, so Microsoft provided an option to turn off Defender when a trial version of a security suite was installed on a new PC or laptop. This is because the two may conflict with each other and cause performance problems.
How do I get rid of the Action Center pop up on Windows 8?
To begin, start off by searching for Action Center on Windows 8 Metro search; click to open it. For Windows 7 users, go to Control Panel > System & Security > Action Center. Next, click on Change Action Center settings at the left sidebar in the window.
Where is the Action Center in Windows 8?
Click or tap Action Center. In Windows 8.1 there is no need to filter the search results. On the Start screen, type the word “action”, then click or tap the appropriate result. When you are on the Desktop, you can open the Action Center by using its Notification Area icon.
How can I change antivirus to Windows Defender?
- Open the Windows Security app by clicking the shield icon in the task bar or searching the start menu for Defender.
- Click the Virus & threat protection tile (or the shield icon on the left menu bar).
- Click Virus & threat protection settings.
- Toggle the Real-time protection switch to On.
How can you tell if Windows Defender is on?
Open Task Manager and click on Details tab. Scroll down and look for MsMpEng.exe and the Status column will show if it’s running. Defender won’t be running if you have another anti-virus installed. Also, you can open Settings [edit: >Update & security] and choose Windows Defender in the left panel.
Is Windows Defender good enough?
It was bad enough that we recommended something else, but it’s since bounced back, and now provides very good protection. So in short, yes: Windows Defender is good enough (as long as you couple it with a good anti-malware program, as we mentioned above—more on that in a minute).
How do I turn on Windows Defender in win 10?
How to Turn Off Windows Defender in Windows 10
- Step 2: Select “Windows Security” from the left pane and choose “Open Windows Defender Security Center”.
- Step 4: Click the Real-Time Protection, Cloud-Delivered Protection and Automatic Sample Submission switches to turn Windows Defender off.
- Step 2: Click on Computer Configuration and Administrative Templates.
Does Windows Defender detect malware?
Windows Defender helps protect your computer against pop-ups, slow performance, and security threats caused by spyware and other malicious software (malware). This document explains how to scan for and remove malicious software using Windows Defender.
Is it safe to use Windows Defender only?
That technically gives it the same “Protection” and “Performance” ratings as antivirus giants like Avast, Avira and AVG. In real terms, according to AV Test, Windows Defender currently offers 99.6% protection against zero-day malware attacks.
How long should Windows Defender full scan take?
The length of time for performing a Quick scan will vary but it generally takes about 15-30 minutes so they can be performed daily. Full Scan is much more comprehensive since it scans the entire hard drive (all folders/files) which can number in the thousands.
How can I fix Windows Defender is turned off?
Fix: Windows Defender is Turned off by Group Policy
- Press the Windows key + R together to open the Run box.
- When the Local Group Policy Editor window appears, navigate to: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Defender.
- Now locate the Turn off Windows Defender setting in the right pane, and double-click on it to modify.
How do I use Windows Defender antivirus?
Click the “use Windows Defender” link in the Settings app to access Windows Defender, and then click over to the History tab. Click “View details” to view detected malware. You can see the name of the malware and when it was found and quarantined.
How do I turn on Windows Defender as administrator?
To turn off Windows Defender:
- Navigate to Control Panel and then double click on “Windows Defender” to open it.
- Select “Tools” and then “Options”.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page of options and uncheck the “Use Windows Defender” check box in the “Administrator options” section.
Is Windows Defender enough for Windows 8?
Microsoft will include antivirus in Windows 8 for the first time in the history of Windows. But will this software–the new version of Windows Defender–provide adequate protection against viruses, spyware, and other malware?
Is Windows Defender a good antivirus?
Microsoft’s Windows Defender isn’t great. In terms of protection, you can argue that it’s not even that good. Still, at least as far as its overall standing is concerned, it’s improving. As Microsoft improves Windows Defender, so must the third-party antivirus software keep pace—or risk falling by the wayside.
Should I install antivirus on Windows 10?
Microsoft has Windows Defender, a legitimate antivirus protection plan already built into Windows 10. However, not all antivirus software are the same. Windows 10 users should examine recent comparison studies that show where Defender lacks effectiveness before settling for Microsoft’s default antivirus option.
How often should you scan your computer for viruses?
If you regularly access, browse or use the Internet, then you will want to run a virus scan more often than once per week. More regular scans can vary based on your Internet usage. You can run scans as often as two to three times per week or even daily if you are concerned about a virus getting onto your computer.
How long do full system scans take?
It usually takes an hour or even a day depending on the number of files in your computer. Since the Full System Scan takes more time, we recommend running a Quick Scan to find and fix the threats immediately and then schedule a Full System Scan to run during idle time. 1.
How long should a malware scan take?
To run a scan with Malwarebytes click Scan Now. MBAM will now perform a full system scan which may take anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours to complete. If Malwarebytes did not find anything, feel free to close the program.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”