Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state.
You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need.
Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it?
Reset your Windows 8.1 PC
- Open PC Settings.
- Click on Update and recovery.
- Click on Recovery.
- Under “Remove everything and reinstall Windows 10,” click the Get started button.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Fully clean the drive option to erase everything on your device and start fresh with a copy of Windows 8.1.
How do you delete everything off your hard drive?
5 steps to wipe a computer hard drive
- Step 1: Back up your hard-drive data.
- Step 2: Don’t just delete files from your computer.
- Step 3: Use a program to wipe your drive.
- Step 4: Physically wipe your hard drive.
- Step 5: Do a fresh installation of the operating system.
What is taking up space on my hard drive Windows 10?
Free up drive space in Windows 10
- Select the Start button, and then select Settings > System > Storage .
- Under Storage sense, select Free up space now.
- Windows will take a few moments to determine what files and apps are taking up the most space on your PC.
- Select all the items you want to delete, and then select Remove files.
How can I permanently delete my data from hard drive?
Whenever you want to securely erase your data, follow these steps.
- Navigate to the files or folders that you want to securely erase.
- Right-click on the files and/or folders and an Eraser menu will appear.
- Highlight and click Erase in the Eraser menu.
- Click Start > Run , type cmd and press OK or Enter (Return).
How do you wipe a computer clean to sell it Windows 10?
Windows 10 has a built-in method for wiping your PC and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state. You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to erase everything, depending on what you need. Go to Start > Settings > Update & security > Recovery, click Get started and select the appropriate option.
How do I delete all personal information from my computer?
Return to the Control Panel and then click “Add or Remove User Accounts.” Click your user account, and then click “Delete the account.” Click “Delete files,” and then click “Delete Account.” This is an irreversible process and your personal files and information are erased.
Can you completely wipe a hard drive?
You’ll need to take an extra step to wipe the hard drive completely. When you format a hard drive or delete a partition, you’re usually only deleting the file system, making the data invisible, or no longer blatantly indexed, but not gone. A file recovery program or special hardware can easily recover the information.
How do you physically destroy a hard drive?
When disposing of an old PC, there is really only one way to securely erase the information on the hard drive: You must destroy the magnetic platter inside. Use a T7 screwdriver to remove as many screws as you can access. You’ll probably be able to remove the main circuit board from the enclosure.
How do I wipe my hard drive for reuse?
How to Wipe a Hard Drive for Reuse
- Right-click “My Computer” and click “Manage” to launch the Computer Management applet.
- Click “Disk Management” on the left pane.
- Select a “Primary Partition” or an “Extended Partition” from the menu.
- Assign a desired drive letter from the choices available.
- Assign an optional volume label to the hard drive.
What is taking up so much space on my hard drive?
To see how the hard drive space is being used on your computer, you can use Storage sense using these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Click on System.
- Click on Storage.
- Under “Local storage,” click the drive to see usage. Local storage on Storage sense.
How do I clear up space on my computer?
The Basics: Disk Cleanup Utility
- Click the Start button.
- In the search box, type “Disk Cleanup.”
- In the list of drives, select the disk drive that you want to clean up (typically the C: drive).
- In the Disk Cleanup dialog box, on the Disk Cleanup tab, check the boxes for the file types you want to delete.
How do I find the largest files on my PC Windows 10?
Hard Drive Full? Here’s How to Save Space in Windows 10
- Open File Explorer (aka Windows Explorer).
- Select “This PC” in the left pane so you can search your whole computer.
- Type “size: ” into the search box and select Gigantic.
- Select “details” from the View tab.
- Click the Size column to sort by largest to smallest.
How do I permanently delete files from my hard drive Windows 10?
Go to the Desktop on your Windows 10 OS. In the Properties, select the drive for which you want to delete the files permanently. Now, under Settings for selected location, click the radio button for Don’t move files to the Recycle Bin. Remove files immediately when deleted.
Is it safe to wipe free space with CCleaner?
CCleaner includes a Drive Wiper, allowing you to wipe the free areas of your hard drive so that deleted files can never be recovered. This means that given the right software, someone could reconstruct all, or parts of files that you’ve deleted. Note: Wiping free space can take a substantial amount of time.
How do you permanently erase data so that it Cannot be recovered?
- Download Eraser from the developer’s website.
- Run the installer.
- Locate files to delete in Windows File Explorer.
- Right-click the file(s), then select “Eraser > Erase”.
- Launch Eraser to permanently wipe data from past deleted files.
- Click “Settings” to view the erasure method options.
How do I clear everything off my laptop?
- Press the Windows key plus the “C” key to open the Charms menu.
- Select the Search option and type reinstall in the Search text field (do not press Enter).
- Select the Settings option.
- On the left side of the screen, select Remove everything and reinstall Windows.
- On the “Reset your PC” screen, click Next.
How do I restore my PC to factory settings Windows 10?
How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC
- Navigate to Settings.
- Select “Update & security”
- Click Recovery in the left pane.
- Click Get started under Reset this PC.
- Click either “Keep my files” or “Remove everything,” depending on whether you want to keep your data files intact.
How do I clean my computer Windows 10?
Deleting system files
- Open File Explorer.
- On “This PC,” right-click the drive running out of space and select Properties.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button.
- Click the Cleanup system files button.
- Select the files you want to delete to free up space, including:
- Click the OK button.
- Click the Delete Files button.
Does factory reset delete everything laptop?
Simply restoring the operating system to factory settings does not delete all data and neither does formatting the hard drive before reinstalling the OS. To really wipe a drive clean, users will need to run secure-erase software. Linux users can try the Shred command, which overwrites files in a similar fashion.
Does reformatting a computer erase everything?
Formatting the hard drive is a bit more secure than simply erasing the files. Formatting a disk does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. However a computer specialist would be able to recover most or all the data that was on the disk before the reformat.
How do I clear my computer before recycling?
Save important files
- Delete and overwrite sensitive files.
- Turn on drive encryption.
- Deauthorize your computer.
- Delete your browsing history.
- Uninstall your programs.
- Consult your employer about data disposal policies.
- Wipe your hard drive.
- Or physically damage your hard drive.
What happens if you wipe a hard drive?
A hard drive wipe refers to a secure deletion procedure that leaves no traces of the data that used to be stored on the wiped hard drive. This is usually performed using specialized software programs designed for this purpose. This is because when a file is deleted, it is not really entirely removed from the hard disk.
How do you reset your hard drive?
To format the primary hard drive, use the Windows 7 DVD. Some computers ship with a recovery partition that you can use to reset the hard drive to its factory condition. You can usually access this partition by pressing “F8” on the boot screen and selecting “Repair Your Computer” from the menu.
How do I wipe my external hard drive clean?
On a Mac, open the Disk Utility application by clicking on its icon in the Applications folder. Select your external hard drive in the left panel and then click the “Erase” button in the right panel (under the “Erase” tab). Click “OK” to format the drive.
Why is C drive full Windows 10?
If “my C drive is full without reason” issue appears in Windows 7/8/10, you can also delete temporary files and other unimportant data to free up hard disk space. And here, Windows includes a built-in tool, Disk Cleanup, to help you clear your disk of unnecessary files.
How do I identify the largest files on my computer?
To find the largest files on your computer using Explorer, open Computer and click up in the search box. When you click inside of it, a little window pops up below with a list of your recent searches and then a add search filter option.
What files can I delete from Windows 10?
To delete temporary files:
- Search for Disk cleanup from the taskbar and select it from the list of results.
- Select the drive you want to clean up, and then select OK.
- Under Files to delete, select the file types to get rid of. To get a description of the file type, select it.
- Select OK.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”