Setting Up a HomeGroup in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10. To create your first HomeGroup, click Start > Settings > Networking & Internet > Status > HomeGroup. This will open the HomeGroups control panel. Click Create a homegroup to begin.
Can you create a HomeGroup between Windows 7 and 10?
HomeGroup is only available on Windows 7, Windows 8. x, and Windows 10, which means that you won’t be able to connect any Windows XP and Windows Vista machines. There can be only one HomeGroup per network.
How do I connect my Windows 7 computer to Windows 10?
From Windows 7 to Windows 10:
1. Open drive or partition in Windows 7 Explorer, right-click on the folder or files that you want to share and select “Share with” > Choose “Specific people…”. 2. Choose “Everyone” in the drop-down menu on File Sharing, click “Add” to confirm.
How do I create a network between Windows 7 and Windows 10?
Setting up Sharing
- Open File Explorer.
- Browse to the folder location with the files that you want to share.
- Select one, multiple, or all the files.
- Click on the Share tab. …
- Click the Share button.
- Select a contact, nearby sharing device, or one of the Microsoft Store apps (such as Mail)
How do I setup a HomeGroup between two computers?
Add your other PCs to the homegroup
- Open HomeGroup by typing homegroup in the search box on the taskbar, and then selecting HomeGroup.
- Select Join now > Next.
- Select the libraries and devices you want to share with the homegroup, and then select Next.
- Type the homegroup password in the box, and then select Next.
Can Windows 10 read Windows 7 files?
1. Use FastMove software. FastMove not only can transfer files easily between Windows 7 to Windows 10 but it can also migrate them from a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system just like that. … Just connect the two PCs to the same network, select the files that you want to transfer, and let FastMove perform the magic move.
Can you transfer data from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
You can transfer files yourself if you’re moving from a Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 PC. You can do this with a combination of a Microsoft account and the built‐in File History backup program in Windows. You tell the program to back up your old PC’s files, and then you tell your new PC’s program to restore the files.
How do I share files on my PC Windows 7?
Browse to the folder you want to share. Right-click the folder, select Share with, and then click Homegroup (Read), Homegroup (Read/Write), or Specific people. If you chose Specific people, the File Sharing window displays. Click the down arrow and select the account you want to share with, and then click Add.
Can’t access Windows 7 share from Windows 10?
PC Cannot See Shared Folders in Windows 10
- Make sure your computers are using the same network and IP version, i.e. IPv4 or IPv6. …
- Make sure Network discovery is enabled on all computers.
- Make sure File and printer sharing is enabled on all computers.
- Toggle Turn on password protected sharing to off and retest.
How do I share files on my PC Windows 10?
File sharing over a network in Windows 10
- Right-click or press a file, select Give access to > Specific people.
- Select a file, select the Share tab at the top of File Explorer, and then in the Share with section select Specific people.
What replaced HomeGroup in Windows 10?
Microsoft recommends two company features to replace HomeGroup on devices running Windows 10:
- OneDrive for file storage.
- The Share functionality to share folders and printers without using the cloud.
- Using Microsoft Accounts to share data between apps that support syncing (e.g. Mail app).
How do I get permission to access a network computer?
- Access the Properties dialog box.
- Select the Security tab. …
- Click Edit.
- In the Group or user name section, select the user(s) you wish to set permissions for.
- In the Permissions section, use the checkboxes to select the appropriate permission level.
- Click Apply.
- Click Okay.
How do I transfer files from Windows 7 to Windows 10 with an Ethernet cable?
How do I transfer files between PCs using an ethernet cable?
- Configure the Windows 7 PC. Go to the Windows 7 PC. Press Start. Go to the Control Panel. …
- Define what files can be shared. Select a folder you want to share. Right-click it and select Properties. …
- Configure the Windows 10 PC. Go to the Windows 10 PC. Press Start.