Click the layer’s thumbnail (on the left) to select the contents of the layer, or click the mask’s thumbnail (on the right) to select the layer mask. But you can also switch between the layer and the mask from your keyboard: To select the layer, press Ctrl+2 (Win) / Command+2 (Mac).
How do I turn a selection into a layer mask?
What you learned: Create a layer mask from a selection
- Select the Magic Wand tool in the Toolbar and check Contiguous in the Options bar.
- Click the image background to select it. To add to the selection if necessary, Shift-click in the image. …
- Choose Select > Invert, so the subject is selected instead of the background.
How do I select a mask in Photoshop?
Open an image in Photoshop and do one of the following:
- Choose Select > Select and Mask.
- Press Ctrl+Alt+R (Windows) or Cmd+Option+R (Mac).
- Enable a selection tool, such as Quick Selection, Magic Wand, or Lasso. Now, click Select and Mask in the Options bar.
How do I add a selection to a layer mask in Photoshop?
Hold Shift and Ctrl (PC) or Cmd (Mac) and click the mask thumbnail. This will add the new selections and the original mask selections together. Now you can fill with black or white on the mask layer. Select the new objects and apply whatever refinements you require.
Why does Photoshop say selected area empty?
You get that message because the selected part of the layer you are working on is empty..
How do I select a layer in Photoshop?
Ctrl-clicking or Command-clicking the layer thumbnail selects the nontransparent areas of the layer.
- To select all layers, choose Select > All Layers.
- To select all layers of a similar type (for example all type layers), select one of the layers, and choose Select > Similar Layers.
Why is layer mask not working Photoshop?
For ImageReady, to reset the layer mask tool, click Edit – Preferences – General – Reset All Tools. If restoring default settings don’t work, then resetting preferences can do the trick to fix layer mask issues. For Photoshop 6 and higher versions, hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift keys during opening Photoshop or later.
How do you add a selection to a layer?
Working with selections in the Layer shortcut menu
- Select the desired features for a layer.
- Right-click the layer and click Selection on the shortcut menu.
- Click the desired operation on the menu. For example, click Create Layer from Selected Features to create a new selection layer.
How do you select a layer?
To select the unmasked areas on a layer that has a layer mask, Ctrl-click (Windows) or Command-click (Mac OS) the layer mask thumbnail in the Layers panel.
Can’t nudge because selected area is empty?
The solution is again simple; firstly, we need to check if there is a selected area or not by clicking View > Extras (or just hit Ctrl+H). Probably, the selected area is there and it really has no item in it. At last, deselecting (press Ctrl+D) simply solves the nudging problem.
How do you fix an empty selected area in Photoshop?
- Select the correct layer / deselect any existing layer masks.
- Unlock the layer (double click on it)
- Check quick mask mode is disabled (Q)
- Make sure there are no odd/small sections of your selection interfering.
- Invert your selection.
- Deselect and reselect.
- Odd layer settings (feather, non-standard tools, etc)
How do I adjust an image in Photoshop?
Change the size of an image
- Choose Image > Image Size.
- Measure width and height in pixels for images you plan to use online or in inches (or centimeters) for images to print. Keep the link icon highlighted to preserve proportions. …
- Select Resample to change the number of pixels in the image. …
- Click OK.