Step 4: Reinstall a clean Mac operating system
- Restart your Mac.
- While the startup disc is waking up, hold down the Command+R keys simultaneously.
- Click on Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X where applicable) to reinstall the operating system that came with your Mac.
- Click on Continue.
How do you reinstall the operating system on a Mac?
How to reinstall macOS while in Recovery mode
- Click Reinstall macOS.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue.
- Click Agree.
- Click Agree.
- Click on the drive on which you wish to install macOS.
- Enter your Apple ID and password if you’re asked to, though you might not be.
- Click Install.
How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac?
How to install a new copy of macOS Mojave in Recovery Mode
- Connect your Mac to the internet via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.
- Click on the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Select Restart from the drop-down menu.
- Hold down Command and R (⌘ + R) at the same time.
- Click on Reinstall a new copy of macOS.
How do I do a clean install of OSX?
So, let us begin.
- Step 1: Clean up your Mac.
- Step 2: Back up your data.
- Step 3: Clean Install macOS Sierra on your startup disk.
- Step 1: Erase your non-startup drive.
- Step 2: Download the macOS Sierra Installer from the Mac App Store.
- Step 3: Start the Installation of macOS Sierra on the Non-startup drive.
How do I restore my MacBook pro?
Once your files are backed up, shut down your MacBook Pro. Plug it into the AC adapter, and then boot it back up. Finally, press and hold “Command-R” (the “Command” and “R” keys at the same time) to start the restore process. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears on the screen, and then release them.
How do I reinstall Mac OS without recovery mode?
Restart your Mac while holding down the ‘Command+R’ buttons. Release these buttons as soon as you see the Apple logo. Your Mac should now boot into Recovery Mode. Select ‘Reinstall macOS,’ and then click ‘Continue.’
How long does it take to reinstall Mac OS?
Depends on what kind of Mac you have and method of install. Typically, if you have a stock 5400 rpm drive, it takes about 30 – 45 minutes using a USB installer. If you are using the internet recovery route, it can take over an hour, depending on speed of internet etc.
How do I reinstall Mojave on Mac without disc?
How to Reinstall MacOS Mojave
- Backup the Mac before going any further, do not skip making a full backup.
- Restart the Mac, then immediately hold down the COMMAND + R keys together immediately to boot into macOS Recovery Mode (alternatively, you can also hold down OPTION during boot and select Recovery from the boot menu)
What does reinstall Mac OS do?
The utilities in macOS Recovery help you restore from Time Machine, reinstall macOS, get help online, repair or erase a hard disk, and more. macOS Recovery is part of the built-in recovery system of your Mac.
How do I do a clean install of OSX Mojave?
How to Clean Install MacOS Mojave
- Complete a full Time Machine backup before starting this process.
- Connect the bootable macOS Mojave installer drive to the Mac via a USB port.
- Reboot the Mac, then immediately start holding the OPTION key on the keyboard.
How do I reinstall Mac OS from USB?
Install macOS from the bootable installer
- Make sure the bootable installer (USB flash drive) is connected to your Mac.
- Shut down your Mac.
- Hold down Option/Alt and press the Power button.
- The startup device list window should appear displaying a yellow drive with Install (software name) below it.
How do you reset a Mac OS?
Here’s how to reset a MacBook:
- Hold down the Command and R keys on the keyboard and turn on the Mac.
- Select your language and continue.
- Choose Disk Utility and click continue.
- Choose your startup disk (named Macintosh HD by default) from the sidebar and click the Erase button.
How do I reinstall Mac from scratch?
Choose Reinstall macOS (or Reinstall OS X) from the Utilities window. Click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions to choose your disk and begin installation. If the installer asks to unlock your disk, enter the password you use to log in to your Mac.
Will reinstall macOS erase data?
Technically speaking, simple reinstalling macOS won’t erase your disk either delete files. You probably don’t need to erase, unless you’re selling or giving away your Mac or having an issue that requires you to wipe.
How do I reinstall Mac from recovery partition?
Reinstall Mac Operating System From The Recovery Partition
- Turn on the Mac and immediately press and hold down both the Command key and the R key.
- Once you see the Apple logo appear in the middle of the screen you can release the Command and R keys.
- When the Mac has completed its startup, you should see a window similar this one:
How do I restore my MacBook pro to factory settings without Internet?
How to Reset a MacBook Pro to Factory Settings Without a Disc
- Set the MacBook Pro to restart. Hold down the “Command” and “R” keys when the gray screen appears during the boot process.
- Select “Disk Utility” from the next screen and click “Continue.” Choose your hard drive in the list and click “Erase.”
- Click the “Mac OS Extended (Journaled)” option in the new dialog.
How long does macOS High Sierra take to install?
Here’s How Long the macOS High Sierra Update Takes
|Backup to Time Machine (Optional)||5 minutes to a day|
|macOS High Sierra Download||20 minutes to an 1 hour|
|macOS High Sierra Installation Time||20 to 50 minutes|
|Total macOS High Sierra Update Time||45 minutes to an hour and 50 minutes|
How do I install Mac OS on a new SSD?
With the SSD plugged in to your system you’ll need to run Disk Utility to partition the drive with GUID and format it with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) partition. The next step is to download from the Apps Store the OS installer. Run the installer selecting the SSD drive it will install a fresh OS onto your SSD.
How do I restore my Mac to factory settings?
Step-by-step Guide to Reset Mac to Factory Settings
- Restart in Recovery Mode.
- Erase Data from Mac Hard Drive.
- a. In the macOS Utilities window, choose Disk Utility and click Continue.
- b. Choose your startup disk and click Erase.
- c. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) as the format.
- d. Click Erase.
- e. Wait until the process is finished.
- Reinstall macOS (optional)
Does installing Mac OS Mojave delete everything?
The simplest is to run the macOS Mojave installer, which will install the new files over your existing operating system. It won’t alter your data, but only those files that are part of the system, as well as bundled Apple apps. Launch Disk Utility (in /Applications/Utilities) and erase the drive on your Mac.
Could not find installation information for this machine?
If you are installing mac os on a fresh Hard Drive then rather pressing cmd + R on startup, you need to press and hold only alt/opt key on system startup. In Recovery Mode you have to format your Disk using Disk Utility and Choose OS X Extended (Journaled) as drive format before you click Reinstall OS X.
How do I do a clean install of Mojave?
To complete the clean install procedure, you’ll need:
- macOS Mojave Installer, available from the Mac App Store.
- A 16GB or larger USB flash drive.
- Go for a system cleanup and backup your data – this will allow you to easily return your Mac to the condition it was in before you installed macOS.
- And an hour or two to spare.
Photo in the article by “Flickr”