One way is to right-click or press-and-hold on it to open a contextual menu, and then click or tap on Delete. Another way is to select the shortcut you want to remove and then press the Delete key on your keyboard.
How do I remove shortcuts from my desktop?
- Left click the desktop shortcut to select it.
- Right click the desktop shortcut. A menu appears.
- Left click the Delete item on the menu that appeared.
- Windows will ask you to confirm deleting the shortcut.
How do I remove desktop icons in Windows 10?
How to show or hide desktop icons – Windows 10
- Right-click the desktop and select Personalize.
- Click the Themes tab at the left. Scroll down and select Desktop icon settings.
- Check or uncheck the tick box before the icon, and select OK to save changes.
How do I remove shortcuts from Windows 10 without deleting them?
Built-in Windows utilities
- Right-click a blank area on the Windows desktop.
- Select Personalize in the pop-up menu.
- In the left navigation menu, click Themes.
- Under Related Settings, click the Desktop icon settings option.
- Uncheck the box next to the icon(s) you want to remove, click Apply, and then OK.
How do I remove multiple shortcuts from my desktop?
To delete multiple icons at once, click one icon, hold down your “Ctrl” key and click additional icons to select them. After selecting the ones you wish to delete, right-click any of the icons you selected and select “Delete” to delete them all.
What happens if you delete a shortcut?
Note: Deleting a shortcut does not delete the original file or folder the shortcut is based on. The original file or folder can only be deleted by the owner.
How do I get my desktop back to normal Windows 10?
- Click or tap the Start button.
- Open the Settings application.
- Click or tap on “System”
- In the pane on the left of the screen scroll all the way to the bottom until you see “Tablet Mode”
- Ensure the toggle is set to off to your preference.
How do I get rid of icons on my desktop that won’t delete?
If you don’t want to delete any files or shortcuts from your Windows 10 desktop, but you still want to move them out of the way while you work, you have a couple of options. The first option is to hide the icons from view. To do this, right-click your desktop, select View, and uncheck Show desktop icons.
How do I delete everything off my desktop?
Wipe and reset your computer
- Open Settings and select Update & Security.
- Click the Recovery tab, then Get Started.
- Select Remove everything.
How do I remove a folder from my desktop?
To delete a computer file or folder:
- Locate the file or folder by using Windows Explorer. …
- In Windows Explorer, right-click the file or folder that you want to delete and then choose Delete. …
- Click Yes to delete the file.