In order to download updates for the OS, the updater updates itself, which might be the reason leading to Windows 10 update stuck on restarting. So, to fix this problem, you just need to regenerate the SoftwareDistribution packages in Windows update.
What to do if Windows Update is stuck on restarting?
How to Fix a Stuck Windows Update Installation
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. …
- Restart your computer using either the reset button or by powering it off and then back on with the power button. …
- Start Windows in Safe Mode. …
- Complete a System Restore to undo the changes made so far by the incomplete installation of the Windows updates.
How long should Windows Update restart take?
We recommend waiting two hours, just in case Windows is doing a lot of work. Windows may just need some time to finish the process, especially if it’s a big update and your hard drive is slow and full.
How do I fix Windows 10 not restarting after update?
Uninstalling the updates to fix booting issue in Windows 10
The booting process starts when you can see circular dots on your screen. Now press and hold your system’s power button until the power is down. Switch on your PC or laptop again and wait for the booting process to initiate again.
Why is my computer stuck on working on updates?
A corrupted components of the update is one of the possible causes why your computer got stuck on a certain percentage. To help you resolve your concern, kindly restart your computer and follow these steps: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.
What happens if you turn off computer while restarting?
It is possible to cause serious damage to the PC by restarting in the middle of an update installation. If the PC shuts down due to power failure, then you should restart the computer and try to install the updates again.
What will happen if you turn off your PC while updating?
BEWARE OF THE “REBOOT” REPERCUSSIONS
Whether intentional or accidental, your PC shutting down or rebooting during updates can corrupt your Windows operating system and you could lose data and cause slowness to your PC. This happens mainly because old files are being changed or replaced by new files during an update.
Why is Windows 10 stuck restarting?
Click Change settings that are currently unavailable. Make sure the box before Turn on fast startup (Recommended) is unchecked, then click Save changes and close the window. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect. Check your computer to see if it is still stuck on restarting.
How long does Windows Update take 2020?
If you’ve already installed that update, the October version should only take a few minutes to download. But if you don’t have the May 2020 Update installed first, it could take about 20 to 30 minutes, or longer on older hardware, according to our sister site ZDNet.
How do I restart Windows 10 after update?
To reset your PC
- Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap Settings, and then tap Change PC settings. …
- Tap or click Update and recovery, and then tap or click Recovery.
- Under Remove everything and reinstall Windows, tap or click Get started.
- Follow the instructions on the screen.
How do I reset a computer that won’t boot?
Since you can’t start Windows, you can run System Restore from Safe Mode:
- Start the PC and press the F8 key repeatedly until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears. …
- Select Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
- Press Enter.
- Type: rstrui.exe.
- Press Enter.
- Follow the wizard instructions to choose a restore point.
How do you fix a computer that wont boot up?
What to Do When Your Computer Won’t Start
- Give It More Power. (Photo: Zlata Ivleva) …
- Check Your Monitor. (Photo: Zlata Ivleva) …
- Listen for the Beep. (Photo: Michael Sexton) …
- Unplug Unnecessary USB Devices. …
- Reseat the Hardware Inside. …
- Explore the BIOS. …
- Scan for Viruses Using a Live CD. …
- Boot Into Safe Mode.