How to Unzip / extract File?
- Once you are logged into your server via SSH, now navigate to the directory where the .zip file you wish to unzip is located there.
- That’s it.
- Use following command: zip [zip file name] [file 1] [file 2] [file 3] [file and so on]
- Use following command to install zip function:
- Zip. If you have an archive named myzip.zip and want to get back the files, you would type: unzip myzip.zip.
- Tar. To extract a file compressed with tar (e.g., filename.tar), type the following command from your SSH prompt: tar xvf filename.tar.
- Gunzip. To extract a file compressed with gunzip, type the following:
If multiple files are in the archive, then you will probably need to transfer the file to *gulp* a Windows platform, unzip it there using WinZIP, and return the constituent files to your Linux box. On my linux boxed I use 7-Zip. It will unzip ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR.This free utility is relatively simple to use and can compress and uncompress files in a wide variety of formats. To unzip the example above, you can right-click on the MyImageData.zip.001 file (after you’ve installed 7-Zip), select the 7-Zip menu, and then choose one of the “extract” options.To unzip multiple Zip files without drag and drop:
- From an open folder window, highlight the WinZip files you want to Extract.
- Right click in the highlighted area.
- Choose WinZip Extract to
- Enter the destination folder.
How can I unzip a zip file?
Zip and unzip files
- To unzip a single file or folder, open the zipped folder, then drag the file or folder from the zipped folder to a new location.
- To unzip all the contents of the zipped folder, press and hold (or right-click) the folder, select Extract All, and then follow the instructions.
How do I unzip a zip file in Terminal?
- Open a terminal ( Ctrl + Alt + T should work).
- Now create a temporary folder to extract the file: mkdir temp_for_zip_extract .
- Let’s now extract the zip file into that folder: unzip /path/to/file.zip -d temp_for_zip_extract.
How do I unzip a .GZ file?
How to open GZ files
- Save the .gz file to the desktop.
- Launch WinZip from your start menu or Desktop shortcut.
- Select all the files and folders inside the compressed file.
- Click 1-click Unzip and choose Unzip to PC or Cloud in the WinZip toolbar under the Unzip/Share tab.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”