To be sure of that, you can use the -P switch with shutdown to poweroff the computer.
The poweroff and halt commands basically invoke shutdown (except for the poweroff -f ).
sudo poweroff and sudo halt -p are exactly like sudo shutdown -P now .
The command sudo init 0 will take you to the runlevel 0 (shutdown).
How do I shut down Ubuntu Server?
By Using Terminal
- sudo poweroff.
- Shutdown -h now.
- This command will shut down the system after 1 minute.
- To cancel this shutdown command, type command: shutdown -c.
- An alternate command for shutting down the system after a specified time is: Shutdown +30.
- Shutdown At A Specified Time.
- Shut down with all the parameters.
How do I shutdown a Linux server?
To shut down the system from a terminal session, sign in or “su” to the “root” account. Then type “/sbin/shutdown -r now”. It may take several moments for all processes to be terminated, and then Linux will shut down. The computer will reboot itself.
How do I restart Ubuntu from terminal?
Log off, Shutdown, and Restart PC Commands in Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and derivatives
- Log Off: Launch ‘Terminal’ and type following command: gnome-session-quit.
- Shutdown. It is straightforward.
- Restart. There are two ways to restart your PC.
- Hibernate. Hibernate doesn’t work well in Linux.
- Suspend / Sleep.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”