How do I repair Ubuntu installation?
The graphical way
- Insert your Ubuntu CD, reboot your computer and set it to boot from CD in the BIOS and boot into a live session. You can also use a LiveUSB if you have created one in the past.
- Install and run Boot-Repair.
- Click “Recommended Repair”.
- Now reboot your system. The usual GRUB boot menu should appear.
Can I reinstall Ubuntu without losing data?
Installing Ubuntu fresh will not affect a user’s personal data and files unless he instructs the installation process to format a drive or partition. The wording in the steps that will do this is Erase disk and install Ubuntu , and Format Partition .
How do I fix a broken Ubuntu update?
- Force the installation of libprotobuf-lite9v5 sudo apt-get install libprotobuf-lite9v5.
- Repair the system with sudo apt-get install -f.
- Mark the package as being installed automatically sudo apt-mark auto libprotobuf-lite9v5.
- Install the needed packages sudo apt-get install gimp sudo apt-get install inkscape.
What is Ubuntu recovery mode?
If your system fails to boot for whatever reason, it may be useful to boot it into recovery mode. This mode just loads some basic services and drops you into command line mode. You are then logged in as root (the superuser) and can repair your system using command line tools.
How do I reinstall Ubuntu and keep my data and settings?
Reinstall Ubuntu, but keep personal data
Step 1) First step is to create an Ubuntu Live DVD or USB drive, which will reinstall Ubuntu. Head over to our detailed guide and return with an Ubuntu Live DVD/USB drive. Step 2) Boot your computer into the Ubuntu Live disk. Step 3) Select “Install Ubuntu”.
How do I run apt fix broken install?
To fix broken packages on Debian-based distributions using Apt:
- Open your terminal by pressing Ctrl + Alt + T on your keyboard and enter: sudo apt –fix-missing update.
- Update the packages on your system: sudo apt update.
- Now, force the installation of the broken packages using the -f flag.
How do I reinstall Ubuntu 20.04 and keep files?
Here are the steps to follow for reinstalling Ubuntu.
- Step 1: Create a live USB. First, download Ubuntu from its website. You can download whichever Ubuntu version you want to use. Download Ubuntu. …
- Step 2: Reinstall Ubuntu. Once you have got the live USB of Ubuntu, plugin the USB. Reboot your system.
Will installing Ubuntu delete all my files?
All of the files on the disk will be deleted before Ubuntu is put on it, so make sure you have backup copies of anything you wanted to keep. For more complicated disk layouts, choose Something Else. You can manually add, modify and delete disk partitions using this option.
How can I update Ubuntu without losing data?
If you choose to upgrade your Ubuntu version, you cannot downgrade it. You cannot go back to Ubuntu 18.04 or 19.10 without reinstalling it. And if you do that, you’ll have to format the disk/partition. It is always a good idea to make a backup of your data before performing a major upgrade like this.