If Ubuntu hangs, the first thing to try is to reboot your system. Sometimes you might have to do a cold boot. Power your computer off and then bring it back up. Restarting your computer resolves many problems such as low memory, application crashes, and the browser hangs.
How do I unfreeze Ubuntu?
You can make the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Delete open the System Monitor, with which you can kill any unresponsive applications.
How do I restart Ubuntu when it freezes?
Press and hold the Alt key along with SysReq (Print Screen) key. Now, type in the following keys, R E I S U B ( give a second or two of interval between each key stroke). If you have a hard time remembering the keys, try this: Reboot; Even; If; System; Utterly; Broken.
How do I fix Ubuntu 18.04 random freezes?
- Go to Software & Updates. Go to additional drivers tab and wait for the options to load.
- Chose Nvidia driver meta-package from nvidia-driver-304. Click apply changes and wait for the driver to install.
- You can also increase you swap space.
What to do if Ubuntu freezes while installing?
- Then choose the Ubuntu, or Install Ubuntu (it depends, you will see it hopefully), go to it with the arrows and press the ‘ e ‘ key.
- Here go to the line which contains quiet splash at the end and add acpi=off after these words.
- Then press F10 to boot with these settings.
What to do if Linux stuck?
Things to do when your Linux desktop GUI freezes
- Execute command xkill from terminal. …
- ubuntu-freeze-xkill cursor sign. …
- Using Alt + F2 command to open the dialog box. …
- Stop a program from the terminal using Ctrl + C. …
- Use the TOP program to Close programs. …
- Press Ctrl + Alt + F3 to drop to Console mode.
How do you unfreeze a terminal?
The Unresponsive Terminal
- Press the RETURN key. …
- If you can type commands, but nothing happens when you press RETURN, try pressing LINE FEED or typing CTRL-J. …
- If your shell has job control (see Chapter 6), type CTRL-Z. …
- Use your interrupt key (found earlier in this chapter—typically DELETE or CTRL-C. …
- Type CTRL-Q.
How do you unfreeze a Linux computer?
Ctrl + Alt + PrtSc (SysRq) + reisub
This will restart your Linux safely. It’s possible that you’ll have problem to reach all the buttons you need to press. I’ve seen people type reisub with their nose So, here’s my suggestion: With your smallest finger on the left hand, press Ctrl.
How do I boot Ubuntu into recovery mode?
Use Recovery Mode If You Can Access GRUB
Select the “Advanced options for Ubuntu” menu option by pressing your arrow keys and then press Enter. Use the arrow keys to select the “Ubuntu … (recovery mode)” option in the submenu and press Enter.
How do I unfreeze Linux Mint?
Press ctrl-d and after that ctrl-alt-f7 (or f8), this should be bring you back to the login screen and you can open a new session without the need to reboot.
How do I clear the cache in Ubuntu?
How to Clear Cache in Linux?
- Clear PageCache only. # sync; echo 1 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches.
- Clear dentries and inodes. # sync; echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches.
- Clear pagecache, dentries, and inodes. # sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches. …
- sync will flush the file system buffer.
How do you refresh Ubuntu?
On Ubuntu Unity
Proceed as follows: Step 1) Press ALT and F2 keys simultaneously. Step 2) Enter unity command to restart Unity desktop. That’s it!
How can I speed up my Ubuntu laptop?
These Ubuntu speed up tips cover some obvious steps such as installing more RAM, as well as more obscure ones like resizing your machine’s swap space.
- Restart your computer. …
- Keep Ubuntu updated. …
- Use lightweight desktop alternatives. …
- Use an SSD. …
- Upgrade your RAM. …
- Monitor startup apps. …
- Increase Swap space. …
- Install Preload.
How do I fix my graphics driver Ubuntu?
2. Now for the fix
- Log into your account in the TTY.
- Run sudo apt-get purge nvidia-*
- Run sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa and then sudo apt-get update .
- Run sudo apt-get install nvidia-driver-430 .
- Reboot and your graphics issue should be fixed.