If you’re using Windows 8, upgrading to Windows 8.1 is both easy and free. If you’re using another operating system (Windows 7, Windows XP, OS X), you can either buy a boxed version ($120 for normal, $200 for Windows 8.1 Pro), or opt for one of the free methods listed below.
How can I install Windows 8 for free on Windows 7?
How to Install Windows 8.1 on top of Windows 7
- Select “Download and install updates” then click Next if you are installing from a DVD or USB drive. …
- Enter your product key and click Next.
- Click Next to begin the download, if you are not installing from a USB or DVD. …
- Agree to the license terms.
Can we upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 8?
Users will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro from Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Ultimate while maintaining their existing Windows settings, personal files and applications. … Upgrade option only works by Microsoft Windows 8 upgrade plan.
Is Windows 8 still free?
Windows 8.1 is a free update for Windows 8 tablets and PCs. It includes a number of new features and design elements that will make Windows 8 easier to use.
Can I upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows 7 without product key?
Skip Product Key Input in Windows 8.1 Setup
- If you are going to install Windows 8.1 using a USB drive, transfer the installation files to the USB and then proceed to step 2. …
- Browse to the /sources folder.
- Look for the ei.cfg file and open it in a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ (preferred).
Why was Windows 8 so bad?
Windows 8 came out at a time when Microsoft needed to make a splash with tablets. But because its tablets were forced to run an operating system built for both tablets and traditional computers, Windows 8 has never been a great tablet operating system. As a result, Microsoft fell behind even further in mobile.
Can I upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7 without a disc?
Yes, you can. One of the major differences between upgrading from Windows 7 compared to Windows Vista and XP is, Windows 8 allows you to preserve your installed applications when upgrading from Windows 7. This avoids the need to do things like reinstall hardware drivers and applications.
How can I install Windows 8 on my PC for free?
Microsoft’s own Windows Virtual PC is free but won’t accept Windows 8 as a guest. Instead, you can use Oracle’s VirtualBox or VMWare’s VMWare Player 4.0. Both are free and both support Windows 8. To get started, you’ll first want to download the Windows 8 beta, aka Consumer Preview, as an ISO file.
How can I upgrade to Windows 8 for free?
Get the free update
- Go to the Windows 8.1 download page and select your Windows edition.
- Select Confirm and follow the remaining prompts to begin the download.
- The update will download and install in the background while you use your PC to do other things.
How do I activate Windows 8 without a product key?
Activate Windows 8 without Windows 8 Serial Key
- You will find a code on the webpage. Copy and paste it in a notepad.
- Go to File, Save the document as “Windows8.cmd”
- Now right-click on the saved file, and run the file as administrator.
How can I get Windows for free?
Microsoft allows anyone to download Windows 10 for free and install it without a product key. It’ll keep working for the foreseeable future, with only a few small cosmetic restrictions. And you can even pay to upgrade to a licensed copy of Windows 10 after you install it.
Is Windows 8.1 still safe to use?
If you want to continue to use Windows 8 or 8.1, you can – it’s still very much a safe operating system to use. … Given this tool’s migration capability, it looks like Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10 migration will be supported at least until January 2023 – but it’s no longer free.