How do I delete a specific word in Unix?
How do I match and remove (delete) the words “ssh_args=-p 1222” from config file using sed command under Linux or Unix like operating systems? You can use the the substitute sed command changes all occurrences of the “ssh_args=-p 1222”. The same command can be used to delete the required words.
How do I delete a word in Linux?
How to delete a whole word on the right in Linux Bash Shell command line [duplicate]
- Ctrl + U = Delete left of the cursor.
- Ctrl + K = Delete right of the cursor.
- Ctrl + W = Delete word on the left.
How do you delete text in Unix?
To delete a word, position the cursor at the beginning of the word and type dw . The word and the space it occupied are removed. To delete part of a word, position the cursor on the word to the right of the part to be saved. Type dw to delete the rest of the word.
What is the command to delete a word?
When you need to delete an entire word, press [Ctrl]+[Backspace]. This shortcut deletes text to the left of the insertion point one word at a time instead of one character at a time.
How do I remove a word from grep?
The most simple way to exclude lines with a string or syntax match is by using grep and the -v flag. The output will be the example. txt text file but excluding any line that contains a string match with “ThisWord”. Use whichever works best for your particular workflow.
How do I delete multiple words in Linux?
- GNU sed (adapted from @jaypal’s comment): sed -r -i ‘s/b(word1|word2|word3)b//g’ file.txt.
- FreeBSD/OSX sed : sed -E -i ” ‘s/[[:<:]](word1|word2|word3)[[:>:]]//g’ file.txt.
How do you delete a line in Linux?
To delete a line, follow the steps below:
- First, bring your cursor to the line you want to delete.
- Press the “Esc” key to change the mode.
- Now type, “:d”, and press “Enter” to delete the line or quickly press “dd”.
How do I run Xdotool?
- Retrieve the X-Windows window ID of the running Firefox window(s) $ xdotool search –onlyvisible –name [firefox]
- Click the right mouse button. $ xdotool click 
- Get the id of the currently active window. …
- Focus on the window with id of 12345. …
- Type a message, with a 500ms delay for each letter. …
- Press the enter key.
Which command is used to erase the whole line?
If you’re at the end of a line and want to select the complete line, use the shortcut key combination Shift + Home . If there’s only one line of text in the document, or you want to delete all text, press Ctrl + A key to select all text. Once highlighted, press delete to delete everything.
How do you remove a character from a Unix file?
Remove CTRL-M characters from a file in UNIX
- The easiest way is probably to use the stream editor sed to remove the ^M characters. Type this command: % sed -e “s/^M//” filename > newfilename. …
- You can also do it in vi: % vi filename. Inside vi [in ESC mode] type: :%s/^M//g. …
- You can also do it inside Emacs.
How do I delete multiple lines in vi?
Deleting Multiple Lines
- Press the Esc key to go to normal mode.
- Place the cursor on the first line you want to delete.
- Type 5dd and hit Enter to delete the next five lines.
How do I delete everything from my Nano?
How to Delete Line in Nano?
- First, you need to press CTRL + Shift + 6 to mark the start of your block.
- Now, shift the cursor to the end of the block with the arrow keys, and it will outline the text.
- Finally, press CTRL + K to cut/delete a block and it will remove a line in nano.