The solution is very simple, although unintuitive: open the user menu (the menu from the top Gnome Shell bar that contains the power off button, etc.), hold down the Alt key and the Power Off button should change to a Suspend button. You can now click the Suspend button to suspend your Gnome desktop.
How do I suspend my laptop Ubuntu?
Go to System Settings and then click on Power. In the power setting, make sure that option for ‘When the lid is closed’ is set to Suspend. If you had a different setting here, you should check if you are able to suspend Ubuntu by closing the lid.
How do I keep Ubuntu from going to sleep?
Set up automatic suspend
- Open the Activities overview and start typing Power.
- Click Power to open the panel.
- In the Suspend & Power Button section, click Automatic suspend.
- Choose On Battery Power or Plugged In, set the switch to on, and select a Delay. Both options can be configured.
What happens when you suspend Ubuntu?
When you suspend the computer, you send it to sleep. All of your applications and documents remain open, but the screen and other parts of the computer switch off to save power. The computer is still switched on though, and it will still be using a small amount of power.
How do you control what happens when you close your laptop lid Ubuntu?
Stop the computer from suspending when the lid is closed
- Open the Activities overview and start typing Tweaks.
- Click Tweaks to open the application.
- Select the General tab.
- Switch the Suspend when laptop lid is closed switch to off.
- Close the Tweaks window.
What is automatic suspend Ubuntu?
When you suspend Ubuntu computer is goes to sleep. All your applications will remain in their current state when you resume. Opened applications and documents will remain opened but other parts the computer will be switched off to save power.
Does Ubuntu have a sleep mode?
1) An the top right corner open the status menu. Pressing the “alt” key will turn the shutdown button into a suspend button. 3) From the activities view (where you can see windows and search applications) search for “suspend” in the language ubuntu is using (in my case italian for example) and select it.
How do I disable my system from going to sleep?
Turning Off Sleep Settings
- Go to Power Options in the Control Panel. In Windows 10, you can get there from right clicking on. the start menu and clicking on Power Options.
- Click change plan settings next to your current power plan.
- Change “Put the computer to sleep” to never.
- Click “Save Changes”
How do I wake up Ubuntu after suspend?
If you suspend your computer and then press a key or click the mouse, it should wake up and display a screen asking for your password. If this does not happen, try pressing the power button (do not hold it in, just press it once).
Does suspending save battery?
Some people may opt to use sleep instead of hibernate so their computers will resume faster. While it does use marginally more electricity, it’s surely more power efficient than leaving a computer running 24/7. Hibernate is particularly useful to save battery power on laptops that aren’t plugged in.
Is suspend the same as sleep?
Sleep (sometimes called Standby or “turn off display”) typically means that your computer and/or monitor are put into an idle, low power state. Depending on your operating system, sleep is sometimes used interchangeably with suspend (as is the case in Ubuntu based systems).