The Mail command in unix or linux system is used to send emails to the users, to read the received emails, to delete the emails etc. Mail command will come in handy especially when writing automated scripts. … -s : Specify the subject of the mail -c : Send carbon copies of the mail to the list of users.
What is the mail command in Linux?
Linux mail command is a command-line utility that allows us to send emails from the command line. It will be quite useful to send emails from the command line if we want to generate emails programmatically from shell scripts or web applications.
How do I access mail in Unix?
How to access email in Unix
- At the prompt, type : ssh remote.itg.ias.edu -l username. username, is your IAS user account, which is the part of your e-mail address before the @ sign. …
- Type pine.
- The Pine main menu will appear. …
- Type in your password and press .
What is the use of mailbox in Linux?
The mailbox is used in interprocessor communication to exchange messages or signals between the host and the coprocessor cores. The mailbox framework is based on: A mailbox controller that is platform dependent: It is in charge of configuring and handling IRQ from the IPCC peripheral.
How do I email a file in Unix?
Use the new attachment switch (-a) in mailx to send attachments with the mail. The -a options is easier to use that the uuencode command. The above command will print a new blank line. Type the body of the message here and press [ctrl] + [d] to send.
How do you send mail in Linux?
5 Ways to Send Email From Linux Command Line
- Using ‘sendmail’ Command. Sendmail is a most popular SMTP server used in most of Linux/Unix distribution. …
- Using ‘mail’ Command. mail command is most popular command to send emails from Linux terminal. …
- Using ‘mutt’ command. …
- Using ‘SSMTP’ Command. …
- Using ‘telnet’ Command.
How do I enable mail on Linux?
To Configure the Mail Service on a Linux Management Server
- Log in as root to the management server.
- Configure the pop3 mail service. …
- Ensure that the ipop3 service has been set to run at levels 3, 4, and 5 by typing the command chkconfig –level 345 ipop3 on .
- Type the following commands to restart the mail service.
How do you read emails?
To view your e-mail messages, click on Inbox. To read, double click on the message you want to open. To reply, click the Reply button at the top of an opened message. To reply from the Inbox view, right click a message and click Reply, or highlight a message and press R on the keyboard.
How do I clear mail in Linux?
8 Answers. You can simply delete the /var/mail/username file to delete all emails for a specific user. Also, emails that are outgoing but have not yet been sent will be stored in /var/spool/mqueue . -N Inhibits the initial display of message headers when reading mail or editing a mail folder.
How do I read emails in Linux?
prompt, enter the number of the mail you want to read and press ENTER . Press ENTER to scroll through the message line by line and press q and ENTER to return to the message list. To exit mail , type q at the ? prompt and then press ENTER .
How do I know if my email is working Linux?
Desktop Linux users can find out if Sendmail is working without resorting to the command line by running by using the System Monitor utility. Click the “Dash” button, type “system monitor” (without quotes) in the search box then click on the “System Monitor” icon.
How do I write an email with an attachment?
Some more examples:
- Please find the attached file for your review.
- Please find the attached file for your request.
- Please find the attached file you requested.
- Please find attached the file you have requested.
- Please find the attached file for your reference.
- Please find attached file for your kind reference.
What is the difference between mail and mailx in Unix?
Mailx is more advanced than “mail”. Mailx supports attachments by using the “-a” parameter. Users then list a file path after the “-a” parameter. Mailx also supports POP3, SMTP, IMAP, and MIME.