How do I list disk usage in Linux?
df command – Shows the amount of disk space used and available on Linux file systems. du command – Display the amount of disk space used by the specified files and for each subdirectory. btrfs fi df /device/ – Show disk space usage information for a btrfs based mount point/file system.
How do I check disk usage per directory in Linux?
How to check free disk space in Linux
- df. The df command stands for “disk-free,” and shows available and used disk space on the Linux system. …
- du. The Linux Terminal. …
- ls -al. ls -al lists the entire contents, along with their size, of a particular directory. …
- stat. …
- fdisk -l.
How do you check which file consuming more space in Linux?
Linux find largest file in directory recursively using find
- Open the terminal application.
- Login as root user using the sudo -i command.
- Type du -a /dir/ | sort -n -r | head -n 20.
- du will estimate file space usage.
- sort will sort out the output of du command.
- head will only show top 20 largest file in /dir/
How can I tell which folders are taking up the most space?
Go to the System group of settings, and select the Storage tab. This will show you all drives that are connected to your system, both internal and external. For each drive, you can see used and free space. This is nothing new and the same information is available if you visit This PC in File Explorer.
How do I clear disk space in Linux?
Freeing disk space on your Linux server
- Get to the root of your machine by running cd /
- Run sudo du -h –max-depth=1.
- Note which directories are using a lot of disk space.
- cd into one of the big directories.
- Run ls -l to see which files are using a lot of space. Delete any you don’t need.
- Repeat steps 2 to 5.
What does Du do in Linux?
The du command is a standard Linux/Unix command that allows a user to gain disk usage information quickly. It is best applied to specific directories and allows many variations for customizing the output to meet your needs. As with most commands, the user can take advantage of many options or flags.
How do I list directories in Linux?
- To list all files in the current directory, type the following: ls -a This lists all files, including. dot (.) …
- To display detailed information, type the following: ls -l chap1 .profile. …
- To display detailed information about a directory, type the following: ls -d -l .
What command shows file system disk usage?
df (disk free) command, when used without any options, displays information about the total disk space, the disk space currently in use, and the free space on all the mounted drives.
How do I view open files in Linux?
You can run lsof command on Linux filesystem and the output identifies the owner and process information for processes using the file as shown in the following output.
- $ lsof /dev/null. List of All Opened Files in Linux. …
- $ lsof -u tecmint. List of Files Opened by User. …
- $ sudo lsof -i TCP:80. Find Out Process Listening Port.
What is the output of who command?
Explanation: who command output the details of the users who are currently logged in to the system. The output includes username, terminal name (on which they are logged in), date and time of their login etc. 11.
How do I clean up Linux?
- sudo apt-get autoclean. This terminal command deletes all . …
- sudo apt-get clean. This terminal command is used to free up the disk space by cleaning up downloaded . …
- sudo apt-get autoremove.
How do I find out which directory is taking more space in Linux?
Check which folders use the highest disk space in linux
- Command. du -h <dir> 2>/dev/null | grep ‘[0-9. ]+G’ …
- Explanation. du -h. Shows the directory and the sizes of each in a human readable format. …
- That’s it. Keep this command in your favorite command lists, it will be needed at really random times.