You can install it on any Mac with an Intel processor and if you stick to one of the bigger versions, you’ll have little trouble with the installation process. Get this: you can even install Ubuntu Linux on a PowerPC Mac (the old type using G5 processors).
How do I install Ubuntu on my Mac?
I hope you understand.
- Insert your USB stick in your Mac.
- Restart your Mac and hold down the Option Key while it reboots.
- When you arrive at the Boot Selection screen, choose “EFI Boot” to select your bootable USB Stick.
- Select Install Ubuntu from the Grub boot screen.
- Select Your Language and click Continue.
Can you install Ubuntu on a MacBook Air?
After finish installing, reboot the computer, but you can only boot to Ubuntu, so you need to install rEFInd. … Then, reboot MacBook Air, you can see the rEFInd menu right after you heard the startup sound, and you can boot into both Ubuntu and macOS.
Can I install Linux on MacBook Pro?
Whether you need a customizable operating system or a better environment for software development, you can get it by installing Linux on your Mac. Linux is incredibly versatile (it’s used to run everything from smartphones to supercomputers), and you can install it on your MacBook Pro, iMac, or even your Mac mini.
Is it worth installing Linux on Mac?
Mac OS X is a great operating system, so if you bought a Mac, stay with it. If you really need to have a Linux OS alongside OS X and you know what you’re doing, install it, otherwise get a different, cheaper computer for all your Linux needs.
Can you boot Linux on a Mac?
If you just want to try Linux on your Mac, you can boot from a live CD or USB drive. Insert the live Linux media, restart your Mac, press and hold the Option key, and select the Linux media on the Startup Manager screen.
Can Mac run Linux programs?
Answer: A: Yes. It’s always been possible to run Linux on Macs as long as you use a version that is compatible with the Mac hardware. Most Linux applications run on compatible versions of Linux.
Is Ubuntu a free software?
Ubuntu has always been free to download, use and share. We believe in the power of open source software; Ubuntu could not exist without its worldwide community of voluntary developers.
How do I run Linux on my MacBook air?
How to Install Linux on a Mac
- Switch off your Mac computer.
- Plug the bootable Linux USB drive into your Mac.
- Turn on your Mac while holding down the Option key. …
- Select your USB stick and hit enter. …
- Then select Install from the GRUB menu. …
- Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
How do I flash Ubuntu on Mac?
Create a Bootable Ubuntu USB Drive in Mac OS X
- Step 1: Format the USB drive. …
- Step 2: Download Ubuntu. …
- Step 3: Convert ISO to IMG. …
- Step 4: Get the device number for USB drive. …
- Step 5: Creating the bootable USB drive of Ubuntu in Mac OS X. …
- Step 6: Complete the bootable USB drive process.