Launch System Preferences by clicking its Dock icon, or by selecting System Preferences from the Apple menu. In the System Preferences window, open the Users & Groups preference pane. Click the padlock icon in the lower left corner, and then enter your administrator password. Click the Unlock button.
What do I do if I forgot my Mac administrator password?
Here’s how to do that:
- Restart your Mac. …
- While it is restarting, press and hold the Command + R keys until you see the Apple logo. …
- Go to the Apple Menu at the top and click Utilities. …
- Then click Terminal.
- Type “resetpassword” in the terminal window. …
- Then hit Enter. …
- Type your password and a hint. …
- Finally, click Restart.
How do you unlock a user account on a Mac?
That’s the easy stuff.
- Click on the Apple menu icon in the upper left corner of your Mac.
- Click on System Preferences from the drop down menu.
- Click on Users & Groups.
- Click the lock in the bottom left corner of the window to unlock the settings.
- Enter your current Mac account password.
- Click Unlock.
How do I recover my administrator account on Mac?
You can recover the admin privileges easily by rebooting into Apple’s Setup Assistant tool. This will run before any accounts have been loaded, and will run in “root” mode, allowing you to create accounts on your Mac. Then, you can recover your admin rights via the new administrator account.
How do I find out what my administrator password is?
Method 1 – Reset password from another Administrator account:
- Log on to Windows by using an Administrator account that has a password that you remember. …
- Click Start.
- Click Run.
- In the Open box, type “control userpasswords2″.
- Click Ok.
- Click the user account that you forgot the password for.
- Click Reset Password.
Can a locked Mac be unlocked?
After you locate your Mac, you can unlock it by entering the passcode that you created when you locked it with Find My. If you can’t remember that passcode, you have three options: Sign in to iCloud.com/find, then select your Mac from the Devices menu. Select Unlock and follow the steps to verify your identity.
Why is my administrator account not working Mac?
Restart the Mac while holding down the Command+R keyboard combination to enter the macOS Recovery partition. Release the keys when you see the Apple logo on the screen. Select Utilities > Terminal to open a Terminal window. Type resetpassword and press Return to open the Reset Password screen.
How do I fix preferences error on Mac?
If you see the message ‘Preferences error: There was an error in AppleID preferences’ here’s what to do.
How to fix Mac preferences errors
- Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences.
- Select Apple ID.
- Choose Overview and then Sign Out.
- To Sign in again, repeat steps 1-3 and click Sign In.
How do you reset System Preferences on a Mac?
As the Mac restarts, hold down the Command and R keys until the Mac OS X Utilities window appears. Select Disk Utility, and then click Continue. Select your startup disk on the left side of the screen, and then click Erase. Click the Format pop-up menu, choose Mac OS Extended, provide a name, and then click Erase.