Open your terminal either by using the Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by clicking on the terminal icon. Use the lsb_release -a command to display the Ubuntu version. Your Ubuntu version will be shown in the Description line. As you can see from the output above, I am using Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.
How do I find my Ubuntu version?
Checking the Ubuntu version in the terminal
- Open the terminal using “Show Applications” or use the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [Alt] + [T].
- Type the command “lsb_release -a” into the command line and press enter.
- The terminal shows the Ubuntu version you’re running under “Description” and “Release”.
How do I find my Linux desktop version?
For other Linux distributions, please use your system’s package manager to install this program. Once installed, simply type screenfetch in the terminal and it should show the desktop environment version along with other system information.
How can you tell the difference between Ubuntu server and desktop?
The main difference in Ubuntu Desktop and Server is the desktop environment. While Ubuntu Desktop includes a graphical user interface, Ubuntu Server does not. This is because most servers run headless.
Which Ubuntu version is most stable?
Up to ten years of security. One of the biggest advantages of Ubuntu Server 20.04 LTS is the stability that it brings. This comes from up to ten years of security provided under the UA-I subscription. Being an LTS release, Ubuntu Server 20.04 comes with five years of support by default.
How do I know what desktop I have?
To find the computer model number with System Information, use these steps:
- Open Start.
- Search for System Information and click the top result to open the app.
- Click on System Summary.
- Confirm the model number of your device under the “System Model” field. Source: Windows Central.
How do I install Ubuntu desktop?
How to Install a Desktop on an Ubuntu Server
- Log into the server.
- Type the command “sudo apt-get update” to update the list of software packages available.
- Type the command “sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop” to install the Gnome desktop.
Can I use Ubuntu desktop as server?
The short, short, short answer is: Yes. You can use Ubuntu Desktop as a server. And yes, you can install LAMP in your Ubuntu Desktop environment. It will dutifully hand out web pages to anyone who hits the IP address of your system.
Can I install Ubuntu desktop on server?
Ubuntu Server has no GUI, but you can install it additionally. Simply login with the user you created during installation and install the Desktop with. and you are done.
How do I change Ubuntu desktop to server?
- Changing the default runlevel. You can set it at the beginnign of /etc/init/rc-sysinit.conf replace 2 by 3 and reboot. …
- Do not launch the graphical interface service on boot update-rc.d -f xdm remove. Quick and easy. …
- Remove packages apt-get remove –purge x11-common && apt-get autoremove.
Is Ubuntu an operating system?
Ubuntu is a complete Linux operating system, freely available with both community and professional support. … Ubuntu is entirely committed to the principles of open source software development; we encourage people to use open source software, improve it and pass it on.