Windows 10 Home doesn’t include BitLocker, but you can still protect your files using “device encryption.” Similar to BitLocker, device encryption is a feature designed to protect your data from unauthorized access in the unexpected case that your laptop is lost or stolen.
Does Windows 10 home allow encrypt folder?
Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise users have a built-in encryption tool called the Encrypting File System (EFS). Any Windows 10 user, including those with the Home edition, can also use third-party apps such as 7-zip for file and folder encryption.
How do I password protect a folder in Windows Home?
How to password protect a folder in Windows
- Open Windows Explorer and find the folder you want to password protect, and then right-click on it.
- Select “Properties.”
- Click “Advanced.”
- At the bottom of the Advanced Attributes menu that appears, check the box labeled “Encrypt contents to secure data.”
- Click “OK.”
Why can’t I password protect a folder Windows 10?
If you want to do this, right click the folder, then go into Properties. A new dialog box should open. Click Advanced… on the bottom right, then click on “Encrypt contents to secure data“. Now anyone else logged into a different account can’t see your folder.
How can I password protect a folder in Windows 10 without software?
How To Lock a Folder With a Password in Windows 10
- Right-click inside the folder where the files you want to protect are located. The folder you want to hide can even be on your desktop. …
- Select “New” from the contextual menu.
- Click on “Text Document.”
- Hit Enter. …
- Double-click the text file to open it.
How do I encrypt a folder with a password?
Password-protect a folder
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder you want to password-protect. Right-click on the folder.
- Select Properties from the menu. …
- Click the Advanced button, then select Encrypt content to secure data. …
- Double-click the the folder to ensure you can access it.
Why can’t I encrypt a folder?
According to users, if the encrypt folder option is grayed out on your Windows 10 PC, it’s possible that the required services aren’t running. File encryption relies on the Encrypting File System (EFS) service, and in order to fix this problem, you need to do the following: Press Windows Key + R and enter services.
How can I password protect a folder in Windows 10?
How to password protect a folder or file in Windows 10
- Using File Explorer, right-click on a file or folder you want password protected.
- Click on Properties at the bottom of the context menu.
- Click on Advanced…
- Select “Encrypt contents to secure data” and click on Apply.
How do I encrypt a folder in Windows?
Built-in folder encryption
- Navigate to the folder/file you want to encrypt.
- Right click on the item. …
- Check Encrypt contents to secure data.
- Click OK, then Apply.
- Windows then asks whether you wish to encrypt the file only, or its parent folder and all the files within it as well.